Google

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Howard Frank Mosher

Years ago, long before I even knew of the existence of a place called the Northeast Kingdom, my book group introduced a short novel called Northern Borders by Howard Frank Mosher. I fell in love with it. Little did I know that Mosher's piece of heaven would become mine. I have recommended this book to many friends over the years, but it was just recently that my brother Geoff reminded me of the book again. He found it on our shelf in Vermont on a recent visit and I told him, "take it... you'll love it". We talked the other day and he said "by the way that book was great", so great in fact, his daughter is now reading it and he has moved onto another one of Mosher's books....and there are plenty to choose from. Last count, I believe he was up to ten books written. Many of his books are set in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont with the most strikingly unique set of characters you could possible image. In Northern Borders, Mosher's storytelling about the life of a small boy sent to live with his grandparents in the wilds of Northern Vermont are so incredibly fascinating and twisted you can't help but to hope that they are actually based in some truth from Mosher's own experience. Each chapter reads like a short story as a collaboration to recount one grand tale.

You will not be disappointed by Northern Borders or any of Mosher's books for that matter.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved Northern Borders. It really takes you to the place and gives a keen look inside at some wonderful characters.

Andree said...

My favorite author. His work is getting better and better. His latest book, On Kingdom Mountain, is, I think, his best. I have met him twice. He is friends of my friends but I have not met him socially. Only at book signings in Newport and Hardwick. And he talked to me, a real conversation!

Yearn to travel said...

I have been wanting to read On Kingdom Mountain. Have you seen any of his Movies? film company in Vermont have turned at least three of his books into movies.